12.26.2009

To Do List: Create a Heavenly Bed

This Hanukkah and Christmas (as my husband and I refer to as Chrismukkah in our house) we were very blessed by our beyond generous families with lots of gifts cards to our favorite stores. We've both decided that we want to create a Heavenly Bed, like the ones in our favorite boutique hotels, complete with super plush pillow top mattresses, goose down pillows, and high thread count sheets. Our cheap Target sheets and flattened pillow purchases just aren't cutting it anymore, and since we work so hard, I want to create a tranquil and plush bed that we won't want to leave. After some research on how to create the ultimate Heavenly Bed here's what's on the list of things to buy:

1. You must start with a high-quality firm mattress, which was the first big purchase we made together as a couple.

This is a soft layer of down designed to lie on top of the mattress to make it softer and more comfortable.

3. Next is a decent mattress pad, which we have. Its main purpose is to protect the bed from dust, spills, and stains, but some mattress pads are also filled with down or polyfill which adds another layer of softness.

4. Sheets. For a super soft luxury bed, you'll need one fitted sheet and 2 flat sheets. This sounds excessive, but remember, this is going to be a Heavenly Bed. Buy the best quality sheets you can. I'm trying to find a high thread count, because the higher the number, the softer the sheets. I prefer white sheets, always. I wash them often and usually have a few pairs in rotation and love the super clean look of crisp white sheets.

5. Next is a blanket. For the luxury bed, choose down or a down alternative blanket with 100% cotton cover in a high thread count. A down blanket makes your bed plush and cushy without a lot of weight. I'm choosing mine in white, I just love the ease of white!

6. Next on the list is a duvet. A duvet is a soft flat bag enclosing a quilt or poly insert. This will be our comforter, the top layer of the bed.


I just love the look of this Italian Hotel Satin Stitch in black duvet at Restoration Hardware. It's very crisp, clean, neutral, and the perfect combination of masculine and feminine and I can easily accent throw pillows with this design.

I'm thinking of ordering just 1 boudoir accent pillow with our monogram JSV on it. I love the look of monograms, but used very subtly. I don't want to see letters all over our sheets!

To complete the super soft bed, I'm going to buy 4 king sized pillows (covered in plain white pillow cases) and 2 King Euro Shams (covered in the Italian Hotel Satin Stitch in black shams).

8. A Faux Fur Throw in Frosted Taupe from Pottery Barn. I saw this on sale for $99 and had to have it, so I used a gift card, you can't beat free shipping and avoiding long lines! I think this throw will be the perfect accent to break up the white bedding and it works nicely with the black stitching.

9. To pull it all together this white tufted bed will work just fine. If you've been reading my blog, you will understand my desire to buy a white tufted bed. The bed frame will have to wait a little while longer, but a girl can dream.

...Now for the rest of bedroom re-do, here's what's on the boards:
I love the look and clean lines of this mirrored night stand and if I was to purchase, I would buy 2 to balance the bed. The mirrored finish breaks up the white from the bed and adds a little glamour to the room.

Here's the night stand look a la this picture above! Simply stunning, modern, glamorous, yet classic. I know I won't get tired of these!

I'm thinking this white Malm 6-drawer dresser from IKEA would be perfect for my husband (and I like the $149 price tag too!) It has a modern look, which would be perfectly balanced with my tall antique oak dresser that was passed down to me from my mom. I could see a 50" flat screen TV mounted above it as the perfect accessory for my husband to enjoy!

To dress up the plain white dresser, I found these clear crystal Prism Knobs at Anthropologie that would really make the dresser pop and look more expensive!

The final (dreaming now) touch will be a chinoiserie wallpaper like this one, used as the back drop on 1 accent wall where our bed is. I have a vanity like this one that fits perfectly with the rest of the design inspiration elements. But, since I rent my apartment, I think I will use some dark charcoal grey paint to really make all the white and mirrored accents stand out - I just love anything that is black and white!

5 comments:

Creategirl said...

love it! Can't wait to see the end result!

deliciously organized said...

I think you've created the perfect bed! Looks like it's going to be really cozy!

damonsalve said...

We are moving soon and I can't wait to use this post as a guide for the new bedroom - fabulous! Thanks for the ideas.

Sarah said...

I love you have said that about the Ikea Malm drawers. I have the taller chest of Malm drawers in my bedroom and I too am planning on putting either crytsal knobs or some silver to dress it up! Just need to decide which ones yet.

Anonymous said...

I am creating a heavenly bed right now...does anyone know which goes on top of the mattress first? The regular mattress pad then the thicker mattress topper? or the topper with the mattress pad over the top. I would generally think the topper would get smashed down from the mattress pad but I guess I'm confused!
Thanks for your help!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...